Energy is a powerful thing. You know that unspoken feeling you get when momentum shifts during a sporting event? That's energy. It can be amazing when positive energy is flowing, but really uncomfortable and awkward when negative energy is in the air.
How can you bring more positive energy and happiness into your life?
Maybe you feel like you’ve been in a funk and don’t know how to “snap out of it.”
Maybe you are overwhelmed by work, family, or life in general.
Maybe you are just looking for some positivity in your life.
I was all of these things as a new stay-at-home mom. Life with a colicky newborn and a toddler was overwhelming, and I curled up into a ball of negative energy. It was affecting my whole family, and I didn’t know how to snap out if it.
I’ve learned from experience that these feelings begin with you. It's a choice you make.
You are responsible for the energy you bring into your life. If you sit and dwell on the negative things in your life, your life will be filled with negativity. If you focus on the positive things in life, your life will be filled with positivity.
The best part? Those feelings multiply. The more positivity you seek out, the more you will find. Those around you will feel your energy too, and feed off of it. I’ve learned this from experience.
So, how do you start? What can you do today to bring more positive energy into your life? Here are 5 easy ways to find more happiness in your life:
1. Make your happiness a priority in your mind. The first step for me was recognizing the value of myself and my happiness. Make a decision in your mind to put yourself at the top of your priority list again.
2. Make a list of the hobbies or activities that you enjoy. Choose 1 or 2 from the list, and schedule time for those during the week. It doesn’t have to be a long time – even 30 minutes once or twice a week will make a difference. What can you sacrifice to make that time? TV? Mindless scrolling on social media? Make that time a priority.
3. Schedule time just for yourself. Go for a walk outside, enjoy nature and the sunshine, take a relaxing bath, read a book with a warm cup of coffee, treat yourself to a shopping trip – anything that settles your mind and makes you feel good.
4. Stretch, meditate or practice simple yoga before bed. This can be as short as 5 or 10 minutes before going to bed – it’s a great way to unwind, calm and relax your mind. It will also put you in a positive mindset for the next day.
5. Make your exercise and nutrition a priority. The connection between a healthy body and healthy mindset is really strong – if I am putting healthy food into my body and exercising regularly, it boosts my endorphins and makes me feel better overall.
The more you choose to focus on the positive things in your life, the happier you will feel. I’ve found that happiness and gratitude really is a practice – the easiest way to feel it is to look for things that make you happy.
How do you bring positive energy into your life? Comment below with your thoughts!