Thrillers are my guilty pleasure - I love getting up early in the morning or staying up at night to crack open a new book that I know I won't be able to put down.
Here are 7 thrillers that are perfect for reading this summer - at home, on vacation, or at the beach.
1. The Broken Girls by Simone St. James - This book was the perfect mix of mystery, suspense and historical fiction. Even though it is set during the fall, this story of a haunted and deserted boarding school for girls is the perfect story to sit outside with. It is also one of my book club selections for summer!
2. Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney - Amber is in a coma, and doesn't know how she ended up there. Every time I thought I had it figured out, I was shocked again. This book had a great twist on the typical unreliable narrator - and my head was spinning by the time I got to the end. I couldn't put this one down!
3. The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn - Anna Fox lives alone and never leaves her home - and when she witnesses a shocking secret through her window, everything in her life comes into question. What is real and what isn't?
4. The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy - A group of new mothers go out one evening, and one of their newborn babies is taken from his crib. Every mother's worst nightmare, with this shocking race to find him is full of twists.
5. The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware - A mysterious letter of inheritance drops at Hal's door, but something seems very, very wrong about the whole situation - and now she is caught in the middle of it. This is a must-read thriller for this summer!
6. I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara - In full disclosure, this book is sitting on my nightstand, and after reading the first chapter, I am equal parts excited and terrified to finish it. This book tells the true-life story of the author's obsessive search for the "Golden State Killer". McNamara passed away in her sleep before finishing this book, which makes it that much more compelling to me. This is sure to be one of the most powerful stories I've read in a long time.
7. Bring Me Back by B.A. Paris - Young couple Finn and Layla are on vacation, and when they stop at a rest station along the highway, Layla goes missing, never to be seen again. A mysterious phone call 10 years later, as well as other oddities put everything into question about what might have happened to Layla.